The Print Staff: Where are they now?

Emma Callahan and Arianna Hernandez

Meghan Nichols paints her future college during her senior year in The Print office of FHS. Photo courtesy of Emily Atha.
Natalie Lucas cements her future in The Print office of FHS. Photo courtesy of Emily Atha.

Have you ever wondered about your future when you leave Fallston? Have you ever thought about how what you learn in school will help you in the future? We reached out to former Fallston journalism students to see what lessons they have taken from being in The Print and where they ended up.   

Meghan Nichols and Natalie Lucas (formerly Lusardi), both 2015 graduates, were co-editors-in-chief of The Print, Fallston’s student newspaper. Even though they were both such a big part of The Print, they both ended up with jobs that differ incredibly.  

Meghan Nichols, now a speech-language pathologist, works with patients who have fluency disorders at an acute care hospital in Baltimore. At this job, she deals with anyone from “babies to the elderly on anything from speech to language to cognition to swallowing.” 

She describes a lesson she learned from her time on The Print as learning a lot about “what leadership is, the importance of building a community with colleagues, and the huge value of working with people who bring different ideas during this period.” 

Meghan Nichols shines working as a speech-language pathologist. Photo courtesy of LinkedIn.

Natalie Lucas got her undergrad at College Park and “graduated with a double-major degree in Government & Politics and Spanish.” She then went on to law school, graduating this past May, and has just recently passed the Maryland Bar Exam. She now works for the Appellate Court of Maryland as a judicial law clerk but is planning to work for the Office of the Public Defender or Legal aid to “represent people from communities that struggle with poverty and high crimes.”  

Because of her time on The Print, she was able to begin to understand herself as a leader, and it “helped [her] be bold in new spaces.” Additionally, the critical thinking that went with it ended up serving her in her courses, and the heavy work that went with them, as well as new networking spaces. 

When asked about her favorite memory, she agreed that “getting to work as co-editor with Meg was the most memorable part of [her] senior year.” Coming together as a team to work on The Print made Lucas’ high school experience memorable. Being on The Print taught her a lot of lessons, but one thing she would advise current high schoolers is “to take their time exploring their skills and interests and to never be shy to ask questions.”

Natalie Lucas passes the bar working now as a judicial law clerk. Photo courtesy of LinkedIn.

Both women played a crucial role while on The Print, and both took crucial lessons from that time. They learned the value of teamwork, self-leadership, and creativity. “I also loved leading alongside Meghan and [learning] how to balance friendship and goofiness with professionalism and productivity,” Lucas said.