The Print

The Student News Site of Fallston High School

The Print

The Print

Volleyball Season Wrap-Up

Fallston stands together in C-Milton Wright’s court. Photo Courtesy of Emma Dunca.

The Fallston Girls’ Varsity Volleyball 2023 season ended last Thursday as they faced off against C Milton Wright, losing a tough match 1-3.  Even if they did not advance into the next level of the playoffs, their season was incredible to say the least. The Fallston team consisted of 13 players: six seniors, three juniors, three sophomores, and one freshman.  

Senior captain Kyra Douglass had an amazing 15 kills, Senior captain Grace Pfaff had 21 digs, and Junior Sam Ruth had an impressive 24 assists.

Moving from the Susquehanna division to the Chesapeake division back in 2021, Fallston has spent the past three years improving their position in the division going from 8-9 their first year, 12-6 their second, and now this year, the Cougars had an amazing 15-3 record, earning a first seed in the playoffs. 

“Who knows, next year maybe we will have an 18-0 record,” hopes Fallston’s Head Coach, Layna Douglass. During the season, Coach Douglass put the girls to work with lots of sprints, squats, push-ups, and sit-ups. This prepared them for all of their hard-fought battles this season. 

The most meaningful win for the Cougars this season was their first game against their rival, the Bel Air Bobcats. Bel Air had been undefeated for the last three years, making them the team to beat. The game went all five sets with each score coming down to the last few points. The crowd has never been louder than the final set when Fallston won 15-5. 

“This year’s team has meant so much to me,” says Coach Douglass. “I’ve been with the seniors and juniors for 3 years now. They are so much more than players to me.” 

The girls on this team have accomplished so much this season, especially with three of them being listed top in the state of Maryland by MaxPreps Stats. Senior Grace Pfaff was listed number one in the state for digs with an amazing 416 digs this season. Senior Kyra Douglass was ranked number one for kills. Kyra is known for her amazing kills; she has had an incredible 296 this season. To round out the team, Junior Sam Ruth was ranked eighth in assists with an incredible 394 assists.  If you see any of these girls in the hallway, make sure to congratulate them on their amazing season! 

“It was really fun to see all the players open up and grow together,” says senior Claire Musser. 

With the season ending, the seniors have played their last game on the court as a Cougar. “I really hope they take a part of this team with them wherever they go from here. Memories and friendships can last a lifetime,” says Coach Douglass. 

This season for the Cougars took so much hard work and dedication, but it all paid off for this incredible season. “We could not have accomplished this great season without the team as a whole,” says Coach Douglass, and I couldn’t agree more.