The Print

The Student News Site of Fallston High School

The Print

The Print

NCAA Changes Calls in Women’s Volleyball

UCLA Women’s Team in the playoff with libero! (Photo courtsey of Bruins Daily)

Recently, the NCAA made changes to the rules for women’s volleyball, one of the most important being the removal of the double contact call. Alongside removing such a call, they also added the ability for both teams to utilize two liberos within a given set.   

The double contact call, which is contacting the ball with more than one body part in a single attempt to play it, has been officially removed due to its being so vague. What a ref may consider a double may not be a double to a player or coach, causing there to be a disturbance in the game or feeling of bias.  

Now due to the rule change, in a singular attempt, players may contact the ball more than once with any part of the body while trying to get the ball to another teammate. Though, if a player does have a double contact while playing the ball over the net, that will be considered a fault.  

Another change that was made was for the libero. The NCAA first allowed the “libero” back in 2002, to play back row and serve for one player only. That had left the other player, such as a middle, to serve. Now with two liberos, this allows multiple players to not have to serve. This will be a big benefit for the players that are not as consistent with serving.   

The other rules that they added are smaller, such as allowing players to wear a nose ring or other ear cuffs to be worn during the game, where previously players had to remove most facial jewelry. And lastly, players are now able to challenge whether there was an interference above the net, such as during a block. 

With so many so many different rules, comes criticism. “I can’t believe they’d take away the double,” said Sam Ruth, Varsity setter for Fallston High School. “I mean, that’s what makes us setters. It takes away the skill and complexity. Not everyone can be a setter, but having good hands is what differentiates you.”