Best Free Snacks from the Cafeteria

Most Harford County schools offer free snacks when you purchase a meal, and as an avid school lunch purchaser, I took it upon myself to tell everyone what the best snacks that they offer are. Please do not disagree, because you will be wrong. 

1. The Holiday Cookies 

The cookies that they give out for holidays such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Saint Patrick’s Day are the best. They are fluffy, flavorful, and fun! For Thanksgiving, the pumpkin spice flavor is so festive. I have yet to meet a person who said that they don’t like these cookies. The Valentine’s Day heart-shaped cookie with pink and white sprinkles is superior, and I know others will agree – an absolute 10/10. 

2. Scooby Snacks 

Though they may be whole grain, they are still one of the most delectable snacks provided. The bone-shaped graham cracker has the perfect mixture of cinnamon sugar and regular cracker.  The flavor, the memories that you get from when you were a kid and eating them. The fact that the school gives them out for free, and foolish, young students are not taking advantage of such an opportunity to have them is truly flabbergasting. Overall, 9/10 

3. Goldfish/Cheez Itz 

The whole grain Goldfish and Cheez Itz are fantastic! The whole grains provide a crisp, delicious detail that the normal ones do not. It’s the taste of something new. It is also a perfect complement to the school grilled cheese and tomato soup. Though they are delicious, the cons are that sometimes they are stale and not as much as you’d think. Both have their cons, but they are still one of the best. I rate it an 8/10. 

Honorable Mentions 

1. The Rold Gold Pretzels 

I am an avid pretzel lover, there is nothing better, for me personally, than a pretzel. I love Rold Gold pretzels the most; the ratio of salt to the pretzels themselves is perfect. But all of this was ruined for me on one fateful day. I was sitting in journalism, ready to eat the snack that I had purchased during lunch, excited as always. As I opened it, I could not believe my precious eyes. There was a blue medical glove inside. I gasp and tell my dear friend, Jenna Hawk. She was just as astonished as I. Eventually, I threw them out because I was worried about the contamination, but the very next day I bought another one. I love these pretzels. I rate them, outside of this incident, a 7/10.  

What a discovery! (Photo courtesy of Emma Nigro)