Netflix‘s New Movie Damsel

Netflix‘s New Movie Damsel

In the bright alluring mountains in the kingdom of Aurea, Netflix has made a new movie. Damsel is a modern take on classic fairy tales where a prince saves the “damsel in distress” from evil villains. But in this version, the damsel fends for herself against the so-called villains. 

Damsel begins in a cold, desolate kingdom. The people are struggling, the weather is bad, and the majority of the population is suffering from extreme poverty. However, another kingdom, Aurea, offers them a wedding. They say that if they give their first-born daughter, Elodie, to be wedded to their son, Henry, they’ll then give over enough money to save their kingdom and its people. 

So Elodie, played by Millie Bobby Brown, is then carted to Aurea and married off to their son, Prince Henry. Elodie’s family receives the money, and all is well, but not everything is as it seems. Part of the deal was not mentioned to Elodie, and this shift in plot causes the movie to take a dramatic turn.  

However, unlike most fairy tale-like stories, this movie is not predictable in the slightest. The movie’s plot builds, and you’ll find yourself thinking about how she could possibly escape her situation.  

Damsel’s pacing is very good. The movie moves very quickly, which allows for there to be no dull moments while watching, and as I said before, the plot is constantly building upon itself. This makes it intense, and has you constantly trying to think of what you would do if you were in Elodie’s situation. 

If you find yourself with free time and in search of a movie on Netflix, I’d say to give this one a try. It has quick pacing, so it doesn’t get boring, and contradictory to most fairy tale-like movies, you’ll find yourself invested in the plot because it isn’t predictable. Also of note, the graphics and scenery are excellent. Damsel does a good job of still keeping the parts of fairy tales we know and love, while twisting others to make for a more entertaining movie.