The Patriots and Bill Belichick Part Ways

Photo+Courtesy+of+NBC+sports++
Photo Courtesy of NBC sports

After a whopping 24 seasons and 6 Super Bowl titles, Bill Belichick will no longer serve as the New England Patriots head coach.   

Belichick had an unmatched run as a remarkable head coach.  He was the 14th head coach in franchise history and led the Patriots to 19 consecutive winning seasons, as well as 17 division crowns – 11 of them being consecutive.   

He has stats unlike the average head coach: 44 post-season appearances (a record among all head coaches) and 31 of them being wins, second-most wins overall with 333 total victories, and was the head coach in 511 games – second to Don Shula with 526.   

These astonishing stats can be recognized by most NFL fans, and Robert Craft, owner of the Patriots, even went on to say, “What Bill accomplished, in [his] opinion, will never be duplicated.” 

The decision was made after numerous meetings between Kraft and Belichick discussing how parties wanted to proceed.  They were able to come to a mutual decision with no conflict or disagreement even though Belichick still has one year remaining in his contract.     

The Patriots will begin to move onto the next chapter and Kraft said, “I promise you I’ll be focused to do the best I can do to make sure we’re putting ourselves in the best long-term position to win for many years.”   

While the cutoff sweatshirts will be missed on the New England sideline, Kraft was quick to hire someone to take on the role of head coach: former Linebacker and linebackers coach for the Patriots, Jerod Mayo.   

Jerod Mayo on the Patriots sideline this past season. (Photo courtesy of the New York Post)

Mayo has been coaching for the Patriots since 2019, and at the start of 2023 there was talk that a possible new contract would be keeping him around Foxborough long-termIt seems the suspicions were correct, and hopefully Jerod Mayo will be the change the team needed after going 4-13 this season.