Language NHS Inductions Celebrate Together!

On Monday, February 26th, world language students at Fallston who met the requirements were inducted into the German, French, or Spanish National Honor Society (NHS). The ceremony took place in the cafeteria, as all three societies held inductions together for the first time. Students and teachers involved in the language department gathered to induct and celebrate the new members. Inductees had the chance to receive a certificate and show off by saying a sentence of their choice in their learned language. 

To be inducted into a Language NHS, students must be in 11th or 12th grade, and be enrolled/plan to enroll in an AP language course. They must also maintain an A average in the class and complete a certain number of service hours applying language skills into the community. 

German NHS, led by Skylar Brown (President), was proud to induct the following students: 

Eryk Bender 

Luca Cangelosi 

Kasey Conlon 

Owen Sellers 

Joshua Yamagata 

German NHS inductees pose after receiving their certificates (Photo courtesy of Juliana Vendetti) 

“It’s good to see people still interested in [German], and trying to keep it going,” says Brown. She advises new members to “keep learning even after high school… it has a lot of benefits.” 

French NHS, led by Elizabeth DiTargiani and Tate Menges (Presidents), Yiyang Liu (Vice President), Ace Liu (Secretary), Addison McEvoy (Treasurer), and Ashleigh Parks (Historian), inducted the following outstanding students: 

Lawrence Acevedo 

Abby Allen 

Nate Barczak 

Lily Cochran 

Amanda Dorsey 

Graham Gainey 

Henry Hoffmann 

Gordon Lefkowitz 

Vincent Lupica 

Cole Markowski 

Zack Patton 

Madison Tran 

French NHS inductees pose with teacher Madame Finnegan after receiving their certificates (Photo courtesy of Juliana Vendetti)

As the new inductees begin to share and further their education in the French language, DiTargiani says, “I’m really proud of them, and I hope they continue to immerse themselves in the French culture.” 

Spanish NHS, led by Angelina Velez (President), Arianna Hernandez (Vice President), Chloe Mullineaux (Secretary), and Claire Musser (Historian), were delighted to induct many new members, including: 

Ethan Ardila 

Courtney Bell 

Leslie Cano-Garrido 

Grace Clark 

Emily Doyle 

Chase Kornke 

Chloe Mauler 

Jonas Mendoza 

Jupiter Moore 

Emma Nigro 

Abigail Richard 

Sienna Smith 

Paige Sullivan 

Helen Urdaneta 

Delaney Whittington 

Gerardo Zavala-Gutierrez 

Spanish NHS inductees pose after receiving their certificates (Photo courtesy of Claire Musser)

Velez expresses how important language honors societies are, saying, “The Spanish NHS is kind of like a home here. It’s just nice to know that other people speak Spanish.” She tells new inductees, “Felicidades, and don’t let AP Spanish scare you!”