Senior Year: Through the eyes of Addy

Me being miserable in class. (Photo Courtesy of Julianna Mullen)

With the start of my last semester of high school, I want to share my experience with the disease called Senioritis.  

I caught the disease when I got accepted to my first college. I mean, what did I have to worry about? I was already accepted somewhere. After that, everything happened so fast. The symptoms hit me hard. The not being motivated to do my work, the not feeling like coming to school, the lateness. The disease clouded my judgement. Should I do my notes for Chemistry, or should I go to sleep? Sleep, duh. Then suddenly I was ten note sheets behind, and there was no point in doing them at all.  

Should I get to school on time, or should I sleep in and go to Starbucks? Starbucks, duh. Then suddenly I have ten tardies. Should I do my makeup work, or scroll on TikTok mindlessly?  TikTok, duh. Then suddenly my grades dropped. Senioritis was taking over, and I couldn’t bear to do my work anymore. I was done with my high school work. Why couldn’t my teachers understand that I’m ready to move onto college? 

I didn’t know how I was going to get through this disease. I consulted my doctor, my mom, and she said that I must get better soon, or I’ll be grounded. But I’m more worried this disease could become fatal. At this rate, I will flunk out before I graduate. 

Now just as my Senioritis was starting to fade, a different disease took hold of me: The Last Time disease. Should I go to school? Yeah, it’s my last time going to school on January 8th as a high schooler. Should I go to swim practice? Yeah, it’s my last swim practice on a Tuesday in December. Should I study for my Chemistry test? Yeah, it’s my last time studying for my quarter two chemistry test in high school. 

Although I am grateful to The Last Time Disease for working (in part) to cure my Senioritis, it comes with its own set of problems. It felt like my life was ending right in front of my eyes. I am experiencing my last year of everything. The symptoms are just as bad. The crying, because I am very dramatic, and the thought of doing something for the last time terrifies me problem, the putting too much pressure on the things I do because it’s the last time problem, annoying everyone else around me because of my dramatics problems. No one wanted to hear about how I’m doing something for the last time when they are all in the same boat. 

But I guess this all comes with the territory. Senior Year, the year the motivation starts running out and everything becomes instantly more emotional. 

Disclaimer: For all college admissions counselors or future employers reading this: This is purely a joke. You can check my grades, they weren’t dropping, and my attendance was good. I rely too much of my self-worth on my grades for this to happen. This is all for dramatic purposes.