Running into the All-State Cross-Country team

After+the+State+Meet+featured+from+left+to+right%3A+Gabi+Murphy%2C+Emily+Atha%2C+Antonio+Hernandez%2C+and+Eryk+Bender+celebrated+the+end+of+the+season+with+a+post-race+pic.+Photo+courtesy+of+the+Fallston+Cross-Country+team.+

After the State Meet featured from left to right: Gabi Murphy, Emily Atha, Antonio Hernandez, and Eryk Bender celebrated the end of the season with a post-race pic. Photo courtesy of the Fallston Cross-Country team.

Arianna Hernandez, Staff Reporter

The All-State Cross-Country team consists of the top twenty girls and boys from the State Championship and Fallston is lucky to have such a strong team. Four of our athletes made the All-State Cross-Country First Team. Fallston students Antonio Hernandez, Emily Atha, Gabi Murphy, and Eryk Bender are proud to represent Fallston High School.  

Senior Antonio Hernandez placed third in states, second in regionals, and placed top in every meet and won multiple races. Running competitively since when he lived in Mexico City, Antonio has always had a drive to be the fastest and has the work ethic to do so. He has run all four years for Fallston, coming as a backup his first year for the varsity team during states. “Though I am happy to make all-state, there is much more to come,” said Antonio. No matter what he is doing, running will always be a top priority, sticking to a strict workout routine. Antonio is showing incredible improvement that will surely lead to an incredible track season. “I’ve been getting a little better every day for a while,” he said. “Time to drop some killer times on the track.” Antonio plans on running track in college but not until after he destroys his competition on the track this spring. 

Second year returnee to the All-State team, senior Emily Atha, has been running since her freshman year. But the beginning of this cross country season didn’t go as she initially planned. “During the month of September, I got injured and was unable to run, so I was stuck swimming in the pool for a month,” Emily said. Using her senior year and faith as her motivation, she was determined to race. “I thank God for allowing me to jump back into my season and become the UCBAC Champion, Regional Champion, and fourth at States,” Emily said. Emily will continue her running career at Liberty University and is determined to dominate their Cross Country and Track teams. 

Eryk Bender exemplified the perfect Cross-Country athlete while being only in his second year as a Fallston High School Athlete. Eryk participated in the varsity meets all throughout his season and held his own at States making it to the seventeenth place for men. “I feel that this is one of the best teams I have ever been on,” said Eryk. His goal is to get under seventeen minutes for a full 5k race, after this he looks to a sixteen forty for his next challenge. By improving already 40 seconds from last year, running now a seventeen twenty, Eryk believes this dream is possible and we all do as well. 

This being Gabi Murphy’s first year running cross country, I can certainly say she has shocked every single coach and athlete that has seen her run. “I feel great for being a part of the All-State team especially since it is my first year,” said Gabi. Being a part of the varsity team as a freshman is impressive but making it to Maryland’s All-State team is incredible. Gabi placed second in Regionals and second in States, also winning multiple first places. “My goal for next season is to run sub 19 minutes,” said Gabi. Running 20:50.79 on Bull Run easily, said to be the hardest course any Cross-Country runner will run in their high school career, Gabi has shown the hard grit and determination that makes her the perfect athlete for the Maryland All-State Cross-Country Team.  

A big shoutout to Emily Atha for being awarded first team All-Metro and Antonio Hernandez and Gabi Murphy for being awarded second team All-Metro. We are so proud of you guys!