Cougars Bitten by the Huskies in Close Game

Women’s Volleyball – September 14, 2023

The Cougars lost a heartbreaker in the den on Thursday night, falling to the Patterson Mill Huskies in the fifth set. It was a tough loss, but Fallston fought hard to the very end. 

The first set was neck-and-neck, sadly ending in a Husky win over the Cougars 28-26. Fallston fell to the Huskies again in the second set, losing 25-16. “In the beginning [the communication] was a little slow, a little quiet on the court,” says Lily Allman, a senior defensive specialist and right-side hitter. “But at the end, it really picked up.” 

Yes, you heard that right. The Cougars picked up the pace in the third set, shutting down the Huskies with a 25-15 win. “Tonight’s game was hype,” says student section leader Daniel Muller. “We saw a lot of good plays coming out.” 

The Cougars remained dominant in the fourth set, grabbing another win, 25-19, to send the match into a fifth set. Fallston did an amazing job locking up the defense and played the game with great communication. Fallston fan Auggie McCarthy noted our girls also “had some really good hits” and played a great fourth game. 

Fallston celebrates a point together in the fifth set.
Photo Courtesy of Lindsey Dettloff

Unfortunately, Fallston’s luck ran out in the fifth set where they lost to an impressive Huskies team 15-10. However, defensive specialist Kailey Frounfelker remains confident, saying that “next time [they] see the Huskies in the den, it will be a 3-0 sweep and [they] are going to win.” 

Despite the disappointing result, the Cougars still had many stand-out players that kept us in the game. Libero Grace Pfaff and Kailey Frounfelker led the defense with 24 digs for Pfaff and 14 for Frounfelker. Setter Sam Ruth added to the defense as well, recording 12 digs on the night as well as 29 assists. Setter Emma Chasen added 7 assists and 2 digs for the Cougars. Lastly, outside hitter Kyra Douglas and right-side hitter Lily Allman led the offensive charge, with Douglass recording 17 kills and Allman adding another 5. 

However, some might say the MVP of the night was Fallston’s student section. The student section was the place to be Thursday night, helping the Cougars gain momentum and energy through the very end. Lily Allman reiterated that their energy boosted team spirit, saying “the student section carried.”  

The Cougars showed out tonight for their favorite Fallston team! 
Photo Courtesy of Lindsey Dettloff

The women’s volleyball team has been putting on a show for fans, so students should continue to show out. The next game in the den will be Thursday, September 21st, against the Bel Air Bobcats. See you there Cougars!