Trailblazing Senator Dianne Feinstein Dies at 90

Dianne Feinstein dies at 90 after ground-breaking political career in California’s Senate. Photo courtesy of Variety. 

California Senator Dianne Feinstein, the longest serving woman in the senate, has died at the age of 90 after weeks of health struggles. Feinstein was an active advocate for gun control and held her seat in the senate longer than anyone in California and any other woman, serving since 1992. 

“Senator Feinstein was a force of nature who made an incredible impact on our country and her home state,” said James Sauls, her chief of staff, in a statement today. “She left a legacy that is undeniable and extraordinary. There is much to say about who she was and what she did, but for now, we are going to grieve the passing of our beloved boss, mentor, and friend.” 

She was known for her accomplished political career, being a part of many ground-breaking legislative decisions like authoring the Respect for Marriage Act and the California Desert Conservation and Recreation Act, introducing legislation to protect young athletes from sexual predators, and co-drafting the Trafficking Victims Protection Act 

Her willingness and persistence in working with Republican politicians impressed many, showing California and America that she wants the best for all. “Every race she won, she made history, but her story wasn’t just about being the first women in a particular political office, it was what she did for California, and for America, with that power once she earned it,” said Governor Gavin Newsom in a statement. “There is simply nobody who possessed the strength, gravitas, and fierceness of Dianne Feinstein.” 

President Joe Biden served with Feinstein for years in the Senate, forming a deep and long-lasting friendship. “She has an immense impact on younger female leaders for whom she generously opened doors,” he said. “Dianne was tough, sharp, always prepared, and never pilled a punch, but she was also a kind and loyal friend.” 

Governor Newsom will now be responsible for appointing a temporary replacement to the Senate. Because she has been struggling with health issues for months and had been planning to retire at the end of her term in 2025, it is no doubt he will move as quickly, if not quicker than he did when appointing Sen. Alex Padilla just a month after Election Day to replace Kamala Harris.  

His pledge to appoint a Black woman to serve out the rest of her term will be put in an odd situation as after Kamala Harris’ election, there is no Black female senator in California. Despite the political obstacles that both republicans and democrats will now certainly face, the legacy of her career will live on far longer than any time she spent in the chamber, and everyone will remember the astonishing woman that Dianne Feinstein was.