Fallston’s Football Team Wins First Playoff Game Against Northeast

Fallston sets up for a perfect pass. Photo courtesy of Emma Dunca

Fallston played against Northeast last Friday in the Cougar Den ending in a 42-13 score. Cold and windy, the weather was not ideal, but that didn’t stop Fallston from dominating the game.  

The first quarter had all the fans on edge as Northeast nearly scored two touchdowns, but both were called off because of penalties against Northeast. Thankfully, Fallston gained ground as senior quarterback Jason Roberts threw the ball to senior wide receiver Brody Fitzkee, scoring the first touchdown of the game. Roberts also doubled as the kicker, scoring the extra point for the game. Roberts also connected with sophomore Zach Loewe in the endzone, making the score 14-0 Fallston at the end of the first quarter. 

Starting the second quarter with a 14-0 score, Roberts continued his hot streak, passing the ball to senior Ryan Murimi for another touchdown, making the halftime score 21-0. 

During the third quarter, the Cougars quickly picked up where they left off and sophomore running back Caleb Canatella gave Fallston a great advantage by running the ball to the eleven-yard line. Canatella had a great game, running a total of 171 yards. At the end of the third quarter, Roberts connected with senior running back Max Rueckert to score another touchdown for Fallston.  

Finally, during the fourth quarter, Fallston’s commanding lead gave them the chance to put in their younger players. Freshman quarterback, Mikey Griffen, was able to score an amazing rushing touchdown.  

With seconds left on the clock, Northeast managed to score a touchdown, but it didn’t matter, Fallston won. The Cougars ended up scoring 28 points in the second half, which is double what they scored in the first two quarters, showing an incredible turnaround.  

Special shoutout to sophomore Zach Loewe who ended the game with an amazing 103 receiving yards; senior quarterback, Jason Roberts, who ended the game with a collective 309 throwing yards and 4 touchdown passes; and sophomore defensive end, Oliver Rueckert, who held together Fallston’s defense with an amazing nine tackles and three sacks. 

The band played great in the cold with their energy keeping the sections warm. The band played crowd favorites like “Handclap,” “Bad Romance,” and “Sweet Caroline” while also playing their half time show consisting of “Dynamite,” “Grenade,” “Bang,” and “Firework” in the stands as well.  

“It was so great seeing everyone so excited and happy to be at this game even though it was freezing. I love the band for that reason,” said junior drum major, E.V. Freeman. “No matter the weather, rain, shine, warm, cold, we all have a great time. It’s so much fun.” 

The cheerleaders also warmed the crowd with their amazing cheers like, “When I say,” and “Aww shucks.” “It was a cold game, but it was an exciting one!” said senior cheer captain, Addison Dougherty.  

Every part of the game last Friday made the night so special for everyone there. Now looking forward, the Cougars are now on their way to Sparrows Point tomorrow for their second playoff game at six against the pointers. Good luck and bring home the victory!