The Print

The Student News Site of Fallston High School

The Print

The Print

2024 Prom Hot Takes   

1. Ankles not needed.  

Whether it’s an ankle length dress or pants that are cut too short, your ankles should not be out for all the senior class to see. These options will only do you dirty when it comes to prom pictures. The cut right above the ankle bone just shows off badly fake tanned feet and skipped leg day. It also looks like you had a growth spurt the night before. Normally, ankles out are fine, just not for an event like prom. 

They’re staring at me… Photo Courtesy of boohoo.

2. Stilettos are a no-go. 

This is just a bad strategy. Dance pictures are almost always taken on grass, and with stilettos, you’ll have no problem with being taller than your date, as you’ll be sinking into the ground if you stand still for more than a second. Plus, these shoes are even more uncomfortable than other heels as there is very little support for the back of your foot. Unless you plan on taking pictures on hard floors and changing into comfortable shoes right after, stilettos are just not the right choice for prom.  

Quicksand if you’re not careful. Photo courtesy of Pinterest.

3. Prom isn’t a brunch. 

Something super trendy right now is wearing the “Sunday Brunch” prom dresses. Unless your prom’s theme is Mamma Mia, I don’t see a point in wearing this style of dress. You can wear them anywhere: brunch, vacation, weddings, a typical Tuesday. These dresses are just not fancy enough for the once-in-a-lifetime event that is senior prom. Your senior prom dress should be something you can’t normally wear out. Half the fun is dressing up in cocktail and being able to be fancy for the night.  

Is next stop prom or the wedding reception? Photo Courtesy of Pinterest.

4. Half-up half-downs are underrated.  

The two main styles of prom hair are all the way up or all the way down, but you don’t see the in-the-middle option much anymore. I think a half-up, half-down is perfect for prom. It has so much versatility with how to execute it. Curled, straightened, braided, or bun. With a half-up half-down, you can combine so many styles into one look. It also helps with being less hot later in the night if you’re someone who doesn’t like to pull their hair all the way up. It’s fewer bobby pins than an updo, but more eye-catching than the traditional hair down. 

A super pretty half-up half-down look. Photo Courtesy of Pinterest.