Cowboy Carter Album Review

+Beyonc%C3%A9%E2%80%99s+album+cover+for+her+%E2%80%9Ccountry%E2%80%9D+album%2C+Cowboy+Carter.+%28Photo+Courtesy+of+Los+Angeles+Times%29
Beyoncé’s album cover for her “country” album, Cowboy Carter. (Photo Courtesy of Los Angeles Times)

Beyoncé released a new album on March 29th and as predicted, it made waves in the country music community. Country music fans are split about whether the album is life-changing or an oversold flop.  

I, for one, believe that Cowboy Carter shouldn’t even be labeled as a country album. This collection of songs defies the bounds of one single genre. I believe it is a beautiful blend of country, pop, R&B, blues… everything!  

This album is changing the game, and the features on the album prove that other musicians out there agree. My personal favorite collab comes from Beyoncé and Miley Cyrus. I mean, with these two powerful voices, what could go wrong? On the track II MOST WANTED, their two voices blend and harmonize beautifully together. Miley’s rasp behind Beyoncé’s smooth voice is literally heart stopping. 

Another great feature came from Post Malone. LEVII’S JEANS has taken the internet by storm, going viral for not only the vocals, but also the raunchy lyrics. Fans are obsessing over this partnership as they await Post Malone’s upcoming country album. This was just a sneak-peek into what we can expect from him in the near future.  

On the opposite side, let’s take a blast to the past and look at Beyoncé’s covers of BLACKBIIRD and JOLENE. BLACKBIIRD, featuring Tanner Adell, Brittney Spencer, Tiera Kennedy, and Reyna Roberts, showcases the voices of these very talented, up-and-coming black country music artists. The harmonies in the bridge and closing of the song show how beautiful these artists’ voices are and shows that the future of country music is bright for black artists.  

Beyoncé also takes on the iconic song by Dolly Parton, “Jolene,” and puts an unexpected twist on the story. While the melody remains, the lyrics are changed to flip the narrative on its head. Instead of begging Jolene to avoid her man, the singer is instead warning her to stop embarrassing herself because her man is staying loyal, and homewrecking would be a bad look for her. 

Of course, I can’t wrap up this album review without mentioning the catchiest song on the album: TEXAS HOLD’EM. This song is all over the radio and the internet, and no one can keep it out of their head. It makes you want to hit the dance floor for a line dance or play a round of poker with some cowboys. 

These standout songs, among the many other showstoppers like 16 CARRIAGES, SPAGHETTII, FLAMENCO, and more, cultivated a game-changing album. This album brought attention to many black artists and opened up the country genre to a different audience that had never listened before. The collaborations on this album represent what the album is: a blend of different voices and genres breaking down barriers and defying the definition and labels of what country music is, and instead exploring what country music can be.