2023: A Year to Remember

Once again, the clock has chimed midnight, and we have welcomed a new year. While fresh starts are always exciting, 2023 was too iconic to forget. Here are some of the best events, items, topics, and crazes that took Gen Z by storm this past year: 

1. Uggs 

These conventional slipper shoes are easy to slide on when running out the door and provide comfort throughout the day. They pair with anything, from leggings to jeans, and could be seen all along Fallston’s halls this year. 

2. Stanley Cups 

Photo courtesy of Amazon

To be paired with your Ugg slippers, Stanleys were the biggest hit when it came to hydration. With a variety of colors, a conventional straw, and a thermos-like container, Stanley took reign over the popular hydro-flask and Yeti brands. 

3. Skincare 

From brands like Bubble, Laneige, and Truly Beauty, people have become obsessed with taking care of their skin. Face and lip masks, serums, and methods like ice rolling and Gua Sha have been embedded in many daily routines. 

4. “Girl Dinner” 

A popular trend on TikTok has been to call unusual meals, such as chips and salsa, charcuterie boards, and other snacks by the name “Girl Dinner.” Like this trend, “Girl Math” has also become popular, where girls can justify “unreasonable” planning or spending habits, such as planning “hair wash days” so that they line up with one’s plans. 

5. The “Clean Girl”/ “Vanilla Girl” Look 

The past few years, the idea of having an “aesthetic” has arisen, and this year the most popular aesthetic was being a “clean girl.” Being a clean girl consists of wearing minimal makeup, matching lounge sets, vanilla body spray, and a slicked back ponytail.  

6. Low-Waisted Flare Jeans 

Following the Y2K fashion trends over the past couple of years, low-waisted flares have reentered popularity when it comes to teen fashion. Best cropped with a slouchy sweater or crop top, almost every girl had flared jeans in her closet this year. 

7. The Grimace Shake 

This mediocre McDonald’s shake, created in honor of Grimace’s birthday, hit popularity as the internet took an interesting turn on the drink. We never will know what Grimace has done with all his victims. 

8. The Barbie Movie 

Photo courtesy of Printerval

Summer of 2023 was full of pink, glitter, and pictures of Ryan Gosling shirtless, as people of all ages got decked out in their best Barbie-inspired outfits and rushed to see the top-selling movie of this year. People couldn’t get Kenough of this film. 

9. Jack Black’s “Peaches” 

Another popular movie this year was The Super Mario Bros. Movie, which was especially known for its song “Peaches.” Its repetitive lyrics and iconic performance made it the catchiest song of the year. 

10. Taylor Swift 

Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons  (Eva Rinaldi)

Last, but definitely not least, everyone went crazy over the iconic Taylor Swift this year. With her extremely popular Eras Tour, and release of many Taylor’s Version Albums, Taylor Swift was named the Top Artist of 2023. 

As we approach the New Year, we can only imagine what new, crazy trends are bound to emerge. Everyone prepare yourselves for 2024.