The Print

The Student News Site of Fallston High School

The Print

The Print

Love Brought to You by Lindsey

As the Valentine’s Season approaches, we all need to really think about how we want to be acting, whether you’re in a relationship or not. For this reason, I have compiled a list of Do’s and Don’ts so you can set standards and goals for yourself to have a successful Valentine’s season. 

DON’T get caught up in what you see on social media. While you may see hundreds of posts with happy couples and cute pictures on Valentine’s Day, us singles can’t let it get to us. We just need to remember that social media isn’t everything, and just because you don’t have a cutesy picture to post doesn’t mean you can’t have a great Valentine’s Day.  

DO have a Galentine’s Day celebration with your friends. Whether you have a boyfriend or not, it’s important to acknowledge the friends in your life that you love and want to celebrate with. Some cute ideas for Galentine’s celebrations are having a cute little brunch, watching a tried-and-true romcom, or going out to a nice dinner. You can even do a gift exchange or make goodie bags for your friends! Plus, you can take cute pictures with all your friends and make memories with the people you love! It’s important to acknowledge everyone you love during the Valentine’s season, not just your significant other. 

Setting up a cute Galentine’s celebration is the perfect way to appreciate this Valentine’s season. Photo Courtesy of Pinterest.

DON’T text your ex. Just don’t. Valentine’s Day is not an excuse to “happy vday!” your way back into your ex’s life. I know it can be hard seeing all the happy couples and missing an old flame, but we need to stay strong and resist the urge. Stay out of the snapchat memories or the hidden album in your camera roll. You guys broke up for a reason and a Valentine’s Day text will not change anything.  I promise the feeling will surely pass and you will regret sending that text, so just don’t. 

DO give out Valentines, elementary-style. Remember when you would go around giving those cute little Valentine’s Day cards to everyone in your class? That’s what we are doing this year. Pick your favorite class and give out your Scooby Doo Valentines to everyone. I can assure you it will put smiles on everyone’s faces and bring back that nostalgic feeling to yourself and others. 

Bring back the good ole days and bring in the cute little Valentines from elementary school. Photo Courtesy of Etsy

DON’T drop a bag on your significant other. Let’s be honest – after Christmas, our bank accounts were all feeling the hit, and we really need to prioritize our financial wellness. While it may be tempting to buy that $200 necklace or that expensive pair of shoes your significant other wants, it’s important to remember that real love isn’t proven by how much you spend – and if you think it is, that sounds like a problem for you and a therapist.  

DO be happy for your friends. It can be hard to fall into a state of self-loathing and immense jealousy, but remember to be happy for your friends. When you see their cheesy Valentine’s Instagram post, drop a like and comment how cute they look, no matter how much it makes you cringe. If your friends are happy, you should be happy. Let’s not let our friends’ happiness send us into a pit of self-pity that ends with us crying at a song about love on the radio. I know it’s easier said than done, but let’s give it our best effort this season.  

DON’T let your other half skim over Valentine’s Day. To all those who are coupled up out there, this is your time to shine. You get to really feel the love, and if your partner isn’t making you feel the love, then shame on them. I know, I know, your significant other should treat you special all year round, but there is nothing worse than a person who doesn’t do ANYTHING for you on Valentine’s Day. Don’t let them get away with that this year. They need to take you on a date or get you flowers or write you a love poem or anything that will make you smile. If they don’t, it’s time to throw them out like yesterday’s trash. 

DO take yourself out for Valentine’s Day. Self-love is the most important love and the best way to do that is some quality time with me, myself, and I. Take this season of love as an opportunity to go out to your favorite restaurant or go on that solo shopping spree. You can even just take a self-care day – you, Grey’s Anatomy, a bubble bath, a face mask, maybe light a candle? Sounds like the best Valentine’s Day ever. If you want more ideas, check out Chloe’s article on the best solo dates. 

Lighting a candle can be a great way to relax when spending some time with yourself this Valentine’s Day. Photo Courtesy of Lindsey Dettloff