The Grammys 2024 Wrap Up

Photo+courtesy+of+Euro+News+
Photo courtesy of Euro News

Ever since 1959, the Grammys have been a celebration of good music and good people. However, this year, the winner’s list has been less than satisfactory for many. We already know the Grammys tend to pick the most popular songs/albums over the best ones, and that was exemplified heavily on February 4th, the day of the Grammys. 

First, we can start with the good things that happened that night. Taylor Swift won two Grammys for her most recent album, Midnights, and announced an upcoming album THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT to be released on April 19th. In addition to Swift’s accomplishments, Miley Cyrus won her first and second Grammy, and Boy Genius won three Grammys. 

However, not everything that night was good. My personal favorite artist, Lana Del Rey, lost all five of the categories she was nominated for. This was really upsetting considering the influence she’s had on the music industry throughout her career. Lana Del Rey, despite being hugely popular, has never won a Grammy. Thankfully, Taylor Swift brought Lana up on stage while accepting her award for album of the year to point out how amazing and genius Lana is.  

Lana Del Rey, Taylor Swift and Jack Antonoff sitting together at the Grammys. Photo courtesy of Billboard.

Lana was not the only one completely overlooked. Olivia Rodrigo, who won three Grammys last year, went home with zero for her newest album GUTS despite being nominated for six awards. Both ladies deserved better for their additions to the music industry last year. 

Thankfully, Trevor Noah, the host of the Grammys this year, was actually funny. He did not make distasteful comments about female artists, unlike Jo Koy at the Golden Globes, and was able to make funny jokes without putting down any of the artists attending the show.  

Hopefully next year, the winners’ pool will be more diverse instead of sticking with the same artists who win every year. We hope to see artists who fell short this year, like Lana and Olivia, get recognized for their incredible work and go home victorious.