Hocus Pocus Celebrates 30 Years, Where the Actors are Today

As the Autumn air begins to chill bones and turn the leaves, it has become clear Halloween is approaching. That means it’s time to find your favorite blankets, drink some warm apple cider, and watch your favorite Halloween films. Everyone has their own spooky films that they watch every year, but one that all can agree is iconic is Disney’s Hocus Pocus. This year, the movie celebrates 30 years since its release. There’s something thrilling about the three entrancing, yet awkward, witches, and the vintage 90s quality the film holds. 

Hocus Pocus follows the story of rebellious teenager Max Dennison (Omri Katz), and his younger sister Dani (Thora Birch). The Dennisons discover a house that used to belong to three witches. When Max lights a candle, bringing the witches back to life after hundreds of years, the kids must work together to stop the chaos the witches create in their small town.  

The iconic witches and the personality they bring are what makes this movie so memorable, thanks to the amazing actors that brought these characters to life. However, it has been 30 years since the film was released, and super fans can’t help but wonder, where are the classic witches today? 

Sarah Jessica Parker (Sarah Sanderson) 

Parker’s character is arguably the most attractive character in the film, as Sarah Sanderson’s personality is extremely bubbly and alluring. I vividly remember being equally haunted and enticed as she sang her theme song, “Come Little Children.”  

Since Hocus Pocus, Sarah Jessica Parker has become most famous for her role in Sex and the City, and most recently, starring in the television program And Just Like That. She is also married to Ferris Bueller’s Day Off star Matthew Broderick. As Parker ages, she has become an advocate for normalizing aging, and has stood up for herself and other older women. 

Kathy Najimy (Mary Sanderson) 

Najimy played the goofiest witch of the Sanderson Sisters, Mary. Her iconic laugh and crooked smile are staples of her character. Before Hocus Pocus, she claimed her fame for her role in Sister Act.  

Since Hocus Pocus, Najimy has been seen in roles in Descendants and Dumplin.  She also plays the voice of many exuberant characters in movies such as Tinkerbell and Wall-E. She is currently married to Dan Finnerty and has a daughter.  

Bette Midler (Winifred Sanderson) 

Midler played the most obnoxious of the sisters. As the eldest, Winnie led the others with power and chaos.  She leads the song “I Put a Spell on You,” which is played every Halloween to this day. 

Some of Midler’s biggest successes include her memoir, A View from a Broad, which is packed with life advice from the star. While Midler is most famous for her legacy on Broadway and films in the 80s, since Hocus Pocus, she has been seen in movies such as The First Wives Club and Parental Guidance. She has also been a huge advocate for inclusivity and the LGBTQ+ community. Midler continues to be as iconic as ever and is still loved by fans everywhere.