The Print

The Student News Site of Fallston High School

The Print

The Print

2023-2024 Reflections Awards

8 Fallston Students Recognized
+FHS+Reflection+award+winners%2C+pictured+left+to+right%3A+Chloe+Hackworth%2C+Grace+Donovan%2C+Laila+Dodard-Vilcous%2C+Dominic+Cangelosi%2C+and+Alexandra+Jayne+%28not+pictured+is+Alex+Sopp%2C+Noah+Dube%2C+and+Bethany+Senker%29.+%0A%0APhoto+Courtesy+of+Ashley+Myers+
FHS Reflection award winners, pictured left to right: Chloe Hackworth, Grace Donovan, Laila Dodard-Vilcous, Dominic Cangelosi, and Alexandra Jayne (not pictured is Alex Sopp, Noah Dube, and Bethany Senker). Photo Courtesy of Ashley Myers

Students from Fallston High School have been participating in the Reflection Awards program for years, and this year, we have eight winners. Reflections has been a staple in the Harford County community. The Reflections Awards is a program the PTSA has been running yearly to see the talents of students through the arts. There are different categories for the students to participate in such as Dance Choreography, Film Production, Literature, Music Composition, Photography, and Visual Arts.  

As for prizes, there are three different tiers for which you can win and advance to the next level. The Merit Award includes a bronze medal, a certificate of merit, and work featured in the virtual exhibition; the Award of Excellence gives a $200 Young Artist Scholarship, a silver medal, a certificate of excellence, and work featured in the virtual exhibition; and the Outstanding Interpretation Award gives a $800 Young Artist Scholarship, a gold medal, a certificate of outstanding interpretation, work featured in the virtual exhibition, and a $200 prize for the local PTA unit. 

Winners from our school participated in visual arts and photography. The winners of visual arts were Chloe Hackworth, Outstanding Interpretation; Laila Dodard-Vilceus, Award of Excellence; Alexandra Jayne, Award of Excellence; and Alex Sopp, Award of Merit. The winners for photography are Grace Donovan, Outstanding Interpretation; Noah Dube, Award of Excellence; Bethany Senker, Award of Excellence; and Dominic Cangelosi, Award of Merit. 

Grace Donovan mentions that “the Reflection Program gives [her] the opportunity to combine the creative and the competitive parts of [her] personality and use them to be successful. Oh, and the money you win is great too!” 

The project itself is an awesome and amazing way to get students to think about hope. Chloe Hackworth relates to the prompt in her own way “because [she has] struggled in the past to see hope” and has “since learned to be hopeful and to not only see the dark side of things.” 

It is great to see students from Fallston High School participating in programs like this. It takes a lot of creativity for them to win these prizes and we applaud all the winners for their outstanding projects.