The Print

The Student News Site of Fallston High School

The Print

The Print

Stanley vs. Simple Modern

This past year, Stanley tumblers have taken over the hydration world, providing ice cold water for hours on end and impressing society with their magical ability to motivate even the most dehydrated people to drink impressive amounts of water. I have been very grateful for my Stanley Cup, which I received as a gift this past August, but recently, I have found myself in the possession of a tumbler by Simple Modern that would be considered a “Stanley Dupe.” Now in this situation, I have found myself begged the question, which is better – the OG Stanley Cup, or the Simply Modern Stanley dupe? 

Upon first glance, I have to say I like the appearance of the Simple Modern cup better. It looks sleeker as the body is a little thinner and the color is consistent throughout the whole design. The lid is the same color as the body is the same color as the handle is the same color as the straw. The Stanley Cup, while iconic, has three different colors that come in to play. The body is one color, the logo is another, the straw is a third different color, and the lid incorporates all three with the detailing on the top. While it doesn’t look bad, it just doesn’t look as clean and nice as the Simple Modern cup. 

However, I could tell within its first few days of use that my Simple Modern tumbler didn’t hold ice as long as my Stanley. While my water stayed ice cold for over 14 hours, the ice itself had melted after 12 in my SM cup. Typically, my Stanley can usually go 24 hours before the ice completely melts, so if you value longevity in a cup, the Stanley would be a better pick for you. However, to me, this isn’t a dealbreaker for my cup because I typically can refill my tumbler with ice and fresh water after about 8 hours of my day. 

Another thing I noticed that was different between these two products was the straws. I have to admit, I am a straw chewer. It’s a flaw that I possess, but luckily, my Stanley straw has been able to withstand this habit. Unfortunately, I did notice that the Simple Modern straw was not as durable as that of the Stanley. It’s only a minor difference, but I could see it factoring into the long-term use of the cup. I could foresee the Simple Modern possibly not lasting as long as the Stanley, but then again, only time will tell. 

The last factor that matters, possibly the most to me, is the spill factor. While I am not a frequent dropper of my water bottle, I have found myself tilting my Stanley a little too far, causing it to leak all over whatever is under it. However, my Simple Modern has a tight seal on the top, only allowing water to exit through the straw which is a game changer. The biggest concern I often see with people looking to buy the Stanley is the fact that it spills a ton. The Simple Modern is a great alternative if this is an issue you are concerned about. 

When taking monetary value into consideration, we see that the Stanley is valued on their website at a retail price of $45.00 per tumbler while the Simple Modern tumbler is only $29.99, meaning the Stanley should in theory be a better cup. However, in my humble opinion, even without taking the price into account, I believe the Simple Modern cup is a better option for me for day-to-day use. The overall aesthetic of its appearance and the lack of spilling puts it over the top for me, not to mention all the amazing color options available for this tumbler. While Stanleys may be the trendiest cup right now, I wouldn’t count out the Simple Modern as I believe it will soon rise in popularity and take over as the best tumbler in the game.